Brewer's Blog

Finer Dining with Beer

Friday, March 30, 2007


Remember a few weeks ago when I ranted on about beer choices in some of Winnipeg's high end restaurants? Well, I think now I must eat crow and let you know that there's more than a few who have listened! If you look closely at this list, it really does read like the who's who in Winnipeg's "foodie" scene. I applaud these Chef's (and others) for choosing real craft beer with flavour over marketing hoopla.

Most of you know that we've had a few different beers (Oktoberfest, Bulldog, Sweet Nikki Brown to name a few) available at the Winnipeg Winter Club due to the incredible passion of Chef Craig Geunther from The Market 520. I really do love Chef Craig's willingness to try new things, and to constantly challenge himself to be creating. In the coming weeks, we'll be partnering with the Winter Club again to pair some of our beer with a special dinner they've been working on. I'll keep you posted on that one!

On Thursday morning, I dropped off the first shipment of Bulldog Amber Ale to Mise, just south of Osbourne Village. Sue & Terry Gereta own this little slice of heaven that my Mom and Dad have been talking about ever since they went for their anniversary. They've got the beer on tap, so when you're out with your sweeties, you can enjoy the fruits of their/our labour.

We've had a very excited call from the people at In Ferno's Bistro, too. Seems that Chef/Owner Fern Kirouac understands and appreciates our willingness to offer seasonal fare as well. They've been stocking bottles of our brew and the selection has been rotating with our various seasonal beers.

A couple of weeks ago, I had a nice couple come into the brewery from St. Paul, Minnesota. They had been at Bistro 7 1/4, where they were introduced to our Stir Stick Stout by Chef Alexander Svenne. I'm told he's very knowledgeable about the beer, but I've not yet had the chance to get there to eat - the couple said the food was amazing, though.

Over the last few month's, owner Scot McTaggart at Fusion Grill has been serving our beers from the bottle. Try the Paella with our Little Scrapper IPA.

And finally, near & dear to my heart - Gasthaus Gutenberger has previously stocked our various German offerings such as the Oktoberfest Lager. I can safely say that when I do brew certain German styles, I specifically pair that beer with food readily available from the Gasthaus. Bayriche Grillhaxe (Bavarian Pork Hock) is a fantastic example of this. Slow roasted and falling off the bone. Another great example is the Hazelnut Torte I suggest you try with our Weizenbock. To die for... tell Chef Kurt Wagner I sent you!

Labels: ,