This Saturday, August 11Th at 9 a.m. Half Pints will celebrate its 1 year anniversary by unleashing our craziest beer yet.
Ludicrous is a Double IPA
, loaded with over the top hop character and thick malts. This is the true hop head beer.
For those of you who don't know, Double IPA's
are becoming increasingly popular in North America. Breweries across the continent are showing their flair for this diverse style. Some of the ones we've enjoyed have included Bell's Hopslam
, Phillip's Amnesiac
, and the Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA
So, what has Half Pints achieved in the last year? Glad you asked! Here's a list for your perusal.
- We opened. A small victory for good beer was scored.
- We've brewed 13 distinctly different beers. Actually, no small feat if you take into account that some breweries don't do that in their entire lifespan.
- It's actually 15 beers if you count our cask of "Mocha Stout" at last years Flatlander's Beer Festival and our cask of Double Dry Hopped Oktoberfest at our Grand Opening Party.
- We went from supplying a limited number (16) Liquor Mart to supplying all 24 in the city of Winnipeg plus a couple of vendors.
- We went from 3 draught accounts to 17 and various restaurants serve our beer in bottles. You could help with this. Just make it known that you'd love to see our beer at your favorite place.
- We've had 52 Saturday tours and 2 rocking open houses where we've demystified the process for hundreds of people (and had some tasty munchies to boot). Now that you know what goes into making your Half Pints, doesn't it feel great to support your local brewery?
- We've bottled and labeled over 100,000 660 ml. bottles by hand.
- We've created one part-time and four full-time jobs in our favorite city.
- Our customers expect more from their beer now. Thanks to them, we exist.
- We've made our parents proud.
By the numbers (if that kind of thing matters to you):
- According to BeerAdvocate.com, we hold the highest average score (3.87/5) for our beers across the three prairie provinces (AB, SK, and MB).
- Our Weizenbock is rated 8Th in the world (out of 147 listings) by that same website.
- According to Ratebeer.com our beer is the best in the province, but you already knew that.
- Over the past year, three of our beers have made it into the top 25 in the world (by style) on Ratebeer.com - Phil's Pils, Oktoberfest, and The Holy Spirit (which was recently bumped from 19th - oh well, can't win em' all).
Overall, it had been a trying experience getting the place up and running. However, the rewards of waking up and wanting to be in the brewery, creating new brews and introducing Winnipeg to our world of beer have been well worth it.
Brewmaster David Rudge