Brewer's Blog

I Am A Craft Brewer

Friday, April 24, 2009

Check out this video posted at Vimeo from the Craft Brewers Conference down in the States.

Kinda makes a hard working craft brewer like me misty eyed. In the video you'll see brewers from around the states. The conference is open to Canadians, too - but given the slant towards the maturing American market, it makes more sense for me to stay home and brew beer.


It's been a while since the last update, and I'm going to go over the goings on for the last couple of weeks.


I went to Regina to judge in the A.L.E.S. Club National Homebrew Competition. As a certified beer judge, it's important to keep up my judging points, but mostly, it's just fun to hit Regina and drink some wicked beers.




Here you see Grant from the Bushwakker obsessing over the Best of Show beers during the final judging. Sue and Mark are in the background discussing the finer points of the Mead category.

I had a great time as always. It was a wonderfully organized event with the Best of Show Gold medal going to an Old Ale (brewed by the Biergotter Club - T.O.). Good beer guys, send me a 6.


We did another fabulous beer dinner at our home away from home, Beer Bros. located in downtown Regina in the Scarth Street Mall.



Check out the presentation on the Stir Stick Stout Stew course. Sous Chef has a good sense of humour.




I did the Chef Malcom Show on Sunday A.M. where we discussed the finer points of aging beer, some history and shared some giggles about late night sessions.



Here you see dessert in all its glory. A fantastic Sweet Nikki Brown Praline Ice Cream with a reduction of Sweet Nikki used for the caramel over the top. Yikes, Brenda and I were raving about that one for the whole weekend.
For those of you living in Regina, you'll be pleased to hear we've got the Bulldog Amber Ale shipped out and it should be on tap soon at Beer Bros. and the guys at my old alma matter, The Bushwakker, are carrying our Stir Stick and our Scrapper in bottles for the locals.